The Boston Police Department says they have almost completed their internal investigation of a brutality case that happened nearly six years ago, despite never collecting crucial video evidence. On June 9, 2009, Boston police officer Adarbaad Karani and bouncers at the Revolution Rock Bar were caught on video attacking a patron, causing severe injuries that included a broken jaw and multiple concussions.
Jacob Carnelli, who was very intoxicated that night, was removed from the bar by bouncers, but later returned to retrieve his credit card which he had left behind.
The police report states that Karani told other officers who arrived on the scene that Carnelli shoved him in an attempt to get back into the bar, but then “ran away and ran from the officer and left the area without further incident.” The police report also cites bar employees who claimed that Carnelli “fell to the ground several times and that at no time did anyone strike him” as an explanation for his injuries.
But surveillance video from the bar that was obtained by Fox 25 shows Carnelli standing in the doorway of the bar, talking with Karani and bouncers. At no time did he push anyone. Eventually, Karani and the bouncers dragged Carnelli outside the bar and threw him to the ground. Karani climbed on top of Carnelli, forcing his knee into the man’s back.
Carnelli was charged with assault and battery on a police officer, but the charge was later dismissed by a judge. Last year, he received a $100,000 settlement from the bar and a $300,000 settlement from the city as part of a personal injury lawsuit.
Lieutenant Detective Michael McCarthy, the department's spokesman, said the department has nearly completed an internal investigation of the incident.
However, in response to a public record request, McCarthy also stated that the department does not have the video depicting Carnelli being attacked.
Furthermore, tomorrow marks six years from the date that Carnelli was attacked, which is the statute of limitations for assault and battery, making a false police report, and most other crimes in Massachusetts, which means it's almost certain Karani will not face any criminal charges as a result of his actions.
McCarthy would not comment on why the department planned to close the investigation without the video or why it would not be closed until after the statute of limitations was set to expire. “The internal investigation is still open. As such we cannot comment,” he said.
We reached out to the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office and Massachusetts Attorney General's Office, but neither has responded yet.
Karani is still employed by the police department, where he took home $113,691.66 last year, according to The Boston Globe.